Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: what is SEARCH SPIDER

  1. #1
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    what is SEARCH SPIDER

    I see it listed under who's online
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member buckeye_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 18th, 2006
    Posts
    1,124
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: what is SEARCH SPIDER

    I see 3 of them.
    [I]I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech. [/I]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: what is SEARCH SPIDER

    I do know that "spiders," when speaking of Internet terms, are programs used by search engines that search the web to find specific web pages. They basically collect the address/URL and info that's on the page, then return the gathered information to a search engine's directory. Once it's returned there, the directory is checked to see if the information is up to date; if not, it's updated. If so, it just stays the same.

    Since it says Yahoo, it must mean that there are spiders/bots adding this website to Yahoo's search directory. That would be my guess, although I could be wrong.

    Surely R0ck or someone else knows for sure what's going on.

    Here is more information on spiders, also known as web crawlers if anyone wants to look into it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_crawler

    <span style='font-size: 11pt'>UPDATE:
    It appears that, at this time, the spiders are gone. They must have finished with their collecting duties!</span>
    Officially retired

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •